Assessing Body Structure and Function
The aim of research in this platform is to determine the physiological and biomechanical mechanisms underlying impaired mobility and function associated with acute and chronic health conditions affecting children and adults. This aim is addressed by:
- developing innovative technology-assisted approaches for assessing structures and functions of the neuromuscular, musculoskeletal, and cardiorespiratory systems and interactions with the environment
- determining physiological and biomechanical function of healthy individuals
- determining physiological and biomechanical impairment and compensatory change in people with acute and chronic health conditions.
Examples include biomechanical modelling and clinical evaluations.
Research in this platform incorporates laboratory-based testing, clinical research, and evaluation of real-time person-environment interactions. Findings inform assessment and treatment approaches for physical therapy and rehabilitation with children, youth, and adults with a range of acute and chronic health conditions including idiopathic scoliosis, cerebral palsy, brain injury, spinal cord injury, stroke, chronic lung disease, critical illness, and solid organ transplantation. Faculty expertise includes implementation science such that research findings inform clinical practice, community programs, and health policy.
Programs of Research and Faculty
- Pressure Injury Prevention and Management - Sharon Gabison
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Mobility Lab - Kristen Musselman
- Rehabilitation of the Lower Extremities After Neurological Injury (RELEARN) Lab - Kara Patterson
- Rehabilitation Aimed at Muscle Performance (RAMP) Lab - Darlene Reid
- Cardiopulmonary Tele-Rehabilitation & Remote Monitoring Lab - Lisa Wickerson
- Biomedical Informatics, Analytics, and Technology Lab - Karl Zabjek
- Education Scholarship - Melanie McKinnon
2022 Peer-Reviewed Publications: Assessing Body Structure & Function
- Bateman M, Evans FP, Vuvan V, Jones V et al. and COS-LET Authorship Group*. Development of a Core Outcome Set for Lateral Elbow Tendinopathy Using Best Available Evidence and an International Consensus Process. Br J Sports Med 2022. doi:10.1136/bjsports-2021-105044. *EWaugh part of Authorship Group.
- Bekhet AH, Jahan AM, Bochkezanian V, Musselman KE, Elsareih AA, Gorgey AS. Effects of Electrical Stimulation Training on Body Composition Parameters After Spinal Cord Injury: A Systematic Review. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2022 Jun;103(6):1168-1178. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2021.09.004. Epub 2021 Oct 21.
- Chohan K, Mittal N, McGillis L, Lopez-Hernandez L, Camacho E, Rachinsky M, Santa Mina D, Reid WD, Ryan CM, Champagne KA, Orchanian-Cheff A, Clarke H, Rozenberg D. A Review of Respiratory Manifestations and their Management in Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes and Hypermobility Spectrum Disorders. Chronic Respiratory Disease. 2021; 18:1-14 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34291699/
- Crosby LD, Chen J, Grahn J, Patterson KK. Perceptions of an over-ground induced temporal gait asymmetry by healthy young adults. Human Movement Science. 2021 Aug 1;78:1402806
- Crosby LD, Chen JL, Grahn JA, Patterson KK. The Effect of Rhythm Abilities on Metronome-Cued Walking with an Induced Temporal Gait Asymmetry in Neurotypical Adults. Journal of Motor Behavior. 2021 Jul 12:1-4.
- Damiani LF, Engelberts D, Bastia L, Osada K, Katira BH, Otulakowski G, Goligher EC, Reid WD, Dubo S, Bruhn A, Post M, Kavanagh KP, Brochard LJ. Impact of Reverse Triggering Dyssynchrony During Lung-Protective Ventilation on Diaphragm Function. An experimental model. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.202105-1089OC
- Desai N, Jovanovic L, Musselman K, Wang R, Marquez-Chin C, Popovic MR. Preliminary evaluation of the reliability and validity of the 3D printed Toronto Rehabilitation Institute-Hand Function Test in individuals with spinal cord injury. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2021; 44(sup1): S225-S233.
- Dolbow DR, Gorgey AS, Sutor TW, Bochkezanian V, Musselman K. Invasive and non-invasive approaches of electrical stimulation to improve physical functioning after spinal cord injury. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2021; 10:5356.
- Espinosa-Ramírez M, Moya-Gallardo E, Araya F, Riquelme S, Rodríguez G, Reid WD, Viscor G, Araneda OF, Gabrielli L, Contreras-Briceño F. Sex-differences in the oxygenation levels of intercostales and vastus lateralis muscles during incremental exercise. Front. Physiol, 2021; 12(1692) https://doi: 10.3389/fphys.2021.738063
- Fok KL, Lee JW, Unger J, Chan K, Musselman KE, Masani K. Co-contraction of ankle muscle activity during quiet standing in individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury is associated with postural instability. Scientific Reports. 2021; 11: 19599.
- Hassan SA, Bonetti LV, Kasawara KT, Patterson KK, Beal DS, Ruocco AC, Reid WD. Decreased automaticity contributes to dual task decrements in older compared to younger adults. Eur J Appl Physiol 27 Jan 2022. DOI: 10.1007/s00421-022-04891-w
- Hassan SA, Bonetti LV, Kasawara KT, Stanbrook MB, Rozenberg D, Reid WD. Loss of Neural Automaticity Contributes to Slower Walking in COPD Patients. Cells. 2022; 11(10):1606. https://doi.org/10.3390/cells11101606
- Istfan R, Gómez CA, Applegate M, Rozenberg D, Reid WD, Roblyer D. Hemodynamics of the sternocleidomastoid measured with frequency domain near-infrared spectroscopy towards non-invasive monitoring during mechanical ventilation. Biomedical Optics Express 2021:12(7):4147-4162. doi: 10.1364/BOE.430423
- Machida M, Rocos B, Zabjek K, Lebel DE. A comparison of the reliability and vulnerability of 3D sterEOS and 2D EOS when measuring the sagittal spinal alignment of patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine Deform. 2022 Apr 6. doi: 10.1007/s43390-022-00499-4.
- Melo LT, Rodrigues A, Emmanuelle Cabral E, Tanaka T, Goligher EC, Brochard LJ, Reid WD. Prefrontal cortex activation during incremental inspiratory loading in healthy participants. Respir Physiol Neurobiol 296: 103827 Feb 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resp.2021.103827
- Powers J, Wallace A, Mansfield A, Mochizuki G, Patterson KK. The effect of frequency of feedback on overground temporal gait asymmetry post stroke” Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation 2021 Jul 23:1-0
- Rodrigues A, Janssens L, Langer D, Matsumura U, Rozenberg D, Brochard LJ, Reid WD. Semi-automated detection of the timing of respiratory muscle activity: validation and first application. Front Physiol 2022; 12: 794598 2322. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2021.794598
- Schreiber AF, Bertoni M, Coiffard B, Fard S, Wong J, Reid WD, Brochard LJ, Piva S, Goligher EC. Abdominal muscle use during spontaneous breathing and cough in patients who are mechanically ventilation: a bi-center ultrasound study. Chest 2021; 160(4):1316-1325 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2021.05.053
- Spasojevic S, Rodrigues A, Mahdaviani K, Reid WD, Mihailidis A, Khan SS. Onset and offset detection of respiratory emg data based on energy operator signal. Annu Int Conf IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2021 Nov; 2021:121-124. doi: 10.1109/EMBC46164.2021.9631101
- Tran, J, Switzer-McIntyre, S, Agur, A. (2021) Overview of Innervation of Shoulder and Acromioclavicular Joints. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics, Volume 32, Issue 4, pp. 667-674
- Vuong V, Patterson KK, Cole LP, Henechowicz TL, Sheridan C, Green RE, Thaut MH. Relationship Between Cognition and Gait at 2-and 12-Months Post-Traumatic Brain Injury. Front. Rehabilit. Sci. 2: 726452. doi: 10.3389/fresc. 2021 Nov 26.