Luana Melo, PT, PhD
PhD in Biotechnology, 2015
Department of Biotechnology – Universidade Estadual do Ceara, Brazil
Visiting PhD candidate, 2014-2015
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Oral Physiology, University of Toronto
Clinical Residency in Critical Care, 2010
Universidade Federal do Ceara-Hospital Universitario-Brazil
Physiotherapy Degree, 2009
Universidade de Fortaleza, Brazil
In 2016 Dr. Lua Melo began postdoctoral training in a collaborative project with Dr. Darlene Reid, Dr. Ewan Goligher and Dr. Laurent Brochard, in a partnership that spans three different institutions – University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital and St. Michael’s Hospital.
Funding and Awards
- International Collaboration Research Grant, Brazil – 2014-2016
- Doctoral Fellowship, (CAPES, Brazil) – 2012-2015
- Clinical training fellowship, Brazil – 2010-2012
- Melo LT. The effects of incremental loading of the inspiratory muscles on muscle oxygenation in young and older adults. Acute Respiratory Failure Working Group Meeting, Toronto, Canada, December, 2015.
- Melo LT, Panchalingam V, Avivi-Arber L, Cherkas P, Campos AR, Sessle BJ. Effects of the natural substance (-)-alpha-Bisabolol on trigeminal central sensitisation and sensorimotor behaviour induced by acute noxious orofacial stimuli. Neuroscience Meeting 2015, Chicago, United States, October, 2015.
- Melo LT, Abdon APV, Vasconcelos RP, Castro CA, Guedes MM, Tome AR, Cardoso ALH, Santiago TM, Rebelo LM, Moreira RA, Monteiro-Moreira ACO, Campos AR. Ethanol-induced gastric injury: microscopic analysis of the protective effect of frutalin. 11° World congress on inflammation, Natal, Brazil, 2013.
- Sousa NP, Marinho LS, Melo LTM, Sampaio AM, Bastos V.P.D, Nogueira ANC, Costa ELV, Beraldo MA, Amato MBP, Holanda MA. The acute effects of postural change and non-invasive ventilation breathing on the regional distribution of lung ventilation: An electrical impedance tomography study. ERS – European Respiratory Society meeting 2012, Vienna, Sept 2012.
- Hayley J. Nell, Laura M. Castelli, Dino Bertani, Aaron A. Jipson, Sean F. Meagher, Luana T. Melo, Karl Zabjek, W. Darlene Reid. (2016). The effects of hypoxia on muscle oxygenation in the flexor digitorum superficialis during submaximal intermittent handgrip exercise. Submitted to Journal of Applied physiology
- Melo LT, Duailibe MA, Pessoa LM, Costa FN, Antonio E. Vieira-Neto, Abdon APV, Campos, AR. (2016). (-)-α-Bisabolol reduces orofacial nociception behaviours in rodents. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Archives of Pharmacology.
- Damasceno MB, Melo-Júnior JMA, Santos SAA, Melo LT, Leite LHI, Vieira-Neto AE, Moreira RA, Monteiro- Moreira ACO, Campos AR. (2016). Frutalin reduces acute and neuropathic nociceptive behaviours in rodent models of orofacial pain. Chemico-biological interactions. 256: 9-15
- Vasconcelos RS, Vasconcelos RP, Melo LT, Castro, CA, Campos, AR, Abdon APV (2014). Effectiveness of Laser Therapy (AlGaInP) on Cicatrization of Experimental Cutaneous Wound in Rats. International Journal of Clinical Medicine. 5: 525-530.
- Melo LT, Vasconcelos, RS, Teles, LMSA, Porto, LM, Maia, JA, Abdon APV (2014). Evaluation of Passive Stretching in the Hamstrings Flexibility of Whom Practice Exercises. International Journal of Sports Science. 4: 67-71.
- Marinho LS, Sousa NP, Barros CA, Matias MS, Monteiro-Melo LT, Beraldo MDA, Costa EL, Amato MB, Holanda MA. (2013). Assessment of regional lung ventilation by electrical impedance tomography in a patient with unilateral bronchial stenosis and a history of tuberculosis. J Bras Pneumol 39(6): 742-6.
- Lacerda VMA, Cunha ACR, Souza IR, Vasconcelos RS, Melo LTM, Abdon APV (2013). Quality of life (QV) and clinical aspects of patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSA) in treatment with Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP). Revista Brasileira de Qualidade de Vida. 5: 22-30.
- Kinote, APBM de, Garcia AEA, Vidal LMD, Melo LTM, Vasconcelos, RS, Abdon A.P.V. (2013). Occurrence of spinal column pain and its relation to the quality of life of manicures and pedicures.Brazilian Journal in Health Promotion. Brazilian Journal in Health Promotion. 26: 318 – 324.
- Tavora RV, Moreira GM, Melo LTM, Sousa NP, Brasil ACO, Abdon APV. (2012). The academic training for the professional education: the opinion of the Physiotherapy students. Fisioterapia e Pesquisa. 19(4): 339-344.
- Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) performed during loaded breathing in healthy volunteers
- Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in critical care patients during mechanical ventilation
- Examining the metabolism of respiratory muscle during exercise in healthy and disease using Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) (systematic review).
- Investigating the recruitment of inspiratory and neck muscles during inspiratory loading
- Investigation of the relationship between prefrontal cortex activity (e.g. changes in O2Hb) and motor performance in patients with COPD and matched healthy participants while they perform single and dual tasks.
- Compilation of evidence on the effects of cognitive tasks on prefrontal cortex activity in healthy adults (systematic review).
After completing her Postdoctoral training, Lua aims to find an academic position in order to teach and continue conducting research. Her goal is to improve the health of respiratory and skeletal muscle in critically ill patients, improving liberation from mechanical ventilation and discharge from ICU and to regain function and independence.