- This event has passed.
Registration Deadline for APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program
September 23, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) has developed a course for clinical instructors that the Department of Physical Therapy will offer to our clinical educators.
Date: Friday September 23rd and Saturday September 24th, 2016
Time: 8:30 – 4:30
Location: 500 University Avenue, Room TBA.
Cost: PTs and PTAs is $230/other health care professionals (i.e. OT, SLPs, RNs) $355
Instructors: Brenda Mori & Robyn Davies, Department of Physical Therapy and Credentialed Clinical Instructor Course Trainers
Individuals are required to participate in both full days to complete the course.
This course is designed for people interested in or involved with clinical education, including Clinical Instructors (CIs) and Center Coordinators of Clinical Education (CCCEs). The program is divided into two distinct parts: an interactive didactic course and an Assessment Centre. These components are used together to first provide, and then assess, the knowledge and skills identified as essential for CIs.
Course Outcomes- Students will be able to:
- Describe the parallels between the characteristics of the practitioner and clinical educator.
- Plan and prepare for students during their clinical education experiences.
- Identify student learning needs.
- Design quality learning experiences.
- Implement clinical teaching methods and supervisory techniques that support ongoing learning
- Provide effective formative and summative evaluation.
- Identify legal and supervisory implications for clinical educators.
- Manage the student who is demonstrating problem performance and exceptional performance.
This course will address:
- The relationship and partnership between the academic program and the clinical site and roles of the ACCE/DCE, CCCE, CI, and student
- Planning and preparing for students during their clinical education experiences
- Developing and facilitating learning experiences in practice tailored to meet specific student needs
- Developing skills in and supporting ongoing learning through formative and summative evaluations
- Identifying legal and regulatory implications for clinical educators, including privacy issues
- Identifying and managing exceptional students and students with problems in clinical education.
- Enhanced knowledge and skills in the provision of physical therapy education.
- Opportunity to participate in a unique learning experience.
- Opportunity for PTs and PTAs to participate in a performance-based assessment process.
- Career development opportunity within clinical education.
- Opportunity to network with other clinical educators of varied backgrounds and experiences.
- Enhanced skill in supervision and conflict management.
- Have an understanding of and experience with the management of exceptional students and students with problems.
- A manual for you to keep which includes useable tools to support you as a clinical instructor.
- Your certificate and pin acknowledging your status as an APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor.
Registration and fees:
The fee for this course is $230 per participant ($355 for non-PT/PTAs). This will include your APTA International Partner membership (PT/PTAs), the course manual and refreshments. Purchase of the manual is mandated by APTA, the developers of the program. Payment must be received for your registration to be complete.
Benefits of joining the APTA as an International Partner include:
- Online access to full text of APTA’s outstanding journal, Physical Therapy.
- Online access to Hooked on Evidence, APTA’s growing database of current research evidence on the effectiveness of physical therapy interventions.
- Additional expanded access to APTA’s Web site at www.apta.org
- APTA member discounts on publications, conferences, courses, and more, when purchased online.
- “Open Door:” APTA’s Portal to Evidence-Based Practice. Free online access to full-text articles and abstracts from more than 1,000 health care-oriented journals, magazines, and periodicals.
For additional information please view this link: http://www.apta.org/InternationalPartners/
Individuals are required to participate for both days to complete the course. The registration deadline for this course is Friday August 12, 2016. Enrolment for this course is limited.
- Complete the APTA CI Course Participant Dossier and scan the document. You will need to upload a copy of this document to the online registration form (note this requires your manager/practice leader to complete the bottom portion).
- Provide your College of Physiotherapist (or appropriate College) registration number.
- Complete the online registration form. Include the scanned documents in their appropriate “upload” sections on the form.
- Print either the confirmation webpage or the confirmation email received from our online registration form, attach a cheque made payable to the “Department of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto” in the amount of $230 ($355 for non-PTs/non-PTAs) and mail both documents by August 12, 2016 to:
University of Toronto, Department of Physical Therapy
Attn: Jane Kean
160-500 University Avenue
Toronto ON M5G 1V7